Friday 14 August 2009

Boards of Canada - '84 Pontiac Dream


In 1984 I was the computer kid. In 1984 I was the BMX bandit. In 1984 I was the Northamptonshire schools county chess tournament runner-up in the under eights section. In 1984 I was free.


Without the marked over-reliance on squelchy basslines and drum synths utilised by such esteemed auteurs as Calvin Harris and Stuart Price, this Boards of Canada track goes beyond parody or hero worship and conjures the smell of air, the feel of wallpaper and pain of a graze in 1984. At the song's marrow is a child's sense of Christmas optimism.


How do BOC achieve this? Who cares. What I do know is they held parties in the forest and projected public service films from the 70s onto the trees. I also know they're obsessed with a hexagon sun. Look closely at the sleeve for A Beautiful Place Out In The Country and you'll see David Koresh, leader of the Branch Davidians.


The Boards of Canada are a hip-hop act. A guy on YouTube cut this tune to scenes from Knight Rider. This sounds like a shit eating mess, but it's actually really effective.


'84 Pontiac Dream by the Boards of Canada on YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment